Thursday, November 26, 2015

Latest on new skiff builds going on.

Here are some updates on one of the past skiffs being built and some new skiffs being designed and built. I get these photos via emails and on Facebook.

 The first skiff is Jon Conners from Vermont.
In the last blog post Jon was building his skiff. He has since launched her and has been doing sea trails in a river near his place. I don't know if this is salt water or not. I don't think so because the trees are so close to the waters edge.
Jon and I first met when he emailed me asking if I would email him a clear set of drawings for my Ian Scott Devlin skiff proposal. Sure. He liked the idea of a slightly rockered bottom and some of my chine details. He wanted to design his own hull to be built in plywood using the stitch and glue method.
During sea trails we have talked back and forth via email about her performance.


Here she sits. I say she looks "right". By that I mean that everything flows well in this hull and shape.
Jon wanted a simple light weight skiff that would pole well with him alone and for small hp. 25 hp is his goal to have on the stern. This boat weighs under 300 lbs as built.


On the first few runs Jon used a very small trim plate on the engines cavitation plate. Here you can see her bow up attitude with the engine level. Jon had added a long wedge to the outside of the lower Chines to help the bow come down. I sent him the measurements of my outboards trim plate.
He removed the wedges which were slowing down the skiff a bit and making it very stable in turns.


Bow up quite a ways.


See all the leaves and flat water. This kind of bow up is really only good for very flat water running.
The engine with the right sized trim plate will lift the stern and the bow will still be out but the angle will not be like this. A more level angle.


Now a few weeks later! New trim plate, cold weather has set in and all the leaves are on their way out.
See the difference in the trim with a bigger trim plate. The skiff now does not have the above mushing along look.


Jon and a friend went up and down here and never got wet. It was a wet windy day. The ride was fine for all.


Bows trimmed right down now. All you have to do to lift the bow is tilt the engine a bit up by using the trim pin or you can build one of Jons simple trim plates.


You get this kind of prop wash when trimmed all the way down.


Look at the bow and you can see the seas - chop that he's going through. Are they called seas in a river? 
All in all Jon reports that he is very happy with his new skiff. I hope Jon comes to visit me when I get back to our place in the Bahamas. It will be fun to talk building and designing your own skiff.
Well done Jon.


This is Alexyz Milians skiff vison.
 Alexyz emailed me asking a few things about design. He has built a beautiful strip plank wood canoe and wants to build himself a no motor zone poling skiff that is very light in the same manner. This skiff is 4'x14' long. It will draw very little.
He had several questions.
The first was why was his bow so down when he placed his hull in the water.
Why did on my bow on lines drawings of skiffs look like the decks of the skiffs were curved?
How to get the bow up look?
Simple answers. It's good for me to get questions like these as I need feedback to see if people are understanding my drawings and thought process.


Here's Alexyzs hull sections.

 
From this angle you get a real good view of his shape. Lots of firm displacment aft going foreward.
This will make the boat stable. The 4' of beam is not too narrow. The wide stern will do its job keeping the boat steady. I would place what ever weight I was going to bring along back there to replace the engine.


Here I explain in my email drawings how to add or subtract displacement-bouancy. What the skiff needed was 2-3" of freeboard added to the bow tapering aft. The design is fine at the waterline as it is.
The curved line you see in bow on hull lines drawings is the sheer. Because all the stations are laying one on top of each other the sheer line gets exaggerated.


This sketch explains how his skiff will sit with different loads.


Now a new sheer with no weight in the stern. Perfect.


The new hull stations ready to take all the measurements off of.




A nice shape. This shape will be easy to strip plank. With a 5 hp two stroke it will plane out doing most likely 12-15 knts with one person on board.
Nice job Alexyz, I look forward to seeing the hull being planked.



I saw this hull on Facebook the other day. I think it's coming from a shop called Glasser Boatworks.
This is a very well proportioned skiff. Really looks nice.


Same skiff I believe inside the shop. I can see they have station molds in the background so it's a one off. Nice to see new skiffs out there. Nice rounded transoms edge. I don't know who you guys are but you're doing a nice job.


Here's an email acquaintance that is building a Carolina type small skiff in epoxy and core.


This will be a nice all round skiff. But not a quiet skiff with that chine setup. But she will be the best looking skiff out there. Classic

That's it for now. 

In a few days I will post all the latest on the Tom Gordon- Islamorada Boatworks skiff that I have played a small part in. They will be doing sea trials this week so will then post all the pictures and give you all the details.
Send me your skiff ideas and builds and I will post here. Over 95,000 viewers this year.
3/4s though read my sailing stuff though.

No comments: